Wednesday, July 15

Ever the Optimist

Sometimes I wish I weren't such an optimist. Here's a general scenario, a short vignette of what most often happens:

I have two options- be optimistically hopeful about an outcome, or be groundedly pessimistic. I choose to hope, no matter what the odds. My optimism is dashed against the rocks and hope disappoints.

Sometimes, I've tried desperately not to be optimistic. On occasion, I will try to be reasonable and tell myself, "Kristin, it's not likely. Don't get your hopes up because the chances are slim to none." But all the while I'm lecturing myself in my head, deep down, I can't help myself. I hope.

As far as I know, optimism is stereotypically seen in a good light-- the lighthearted, happy, effervescent twin-- while pessimism is cast out as the gloomy, dull, sober, bad twin. I'm beginning to differ from my previous conceptions of optimism and pessimism. I think both have a time and a place. And I'm really beginning to wonder if optimism is all it's built up to be.

That's not to say that I should never be optimistic. But I guess at the moment I'm just burnt out on hope. I'm tired of being ever hopeful just to be let down. It seems the more I hope, the harder I have to fall back down to reality. I have more thoughts on this particular subject, but I think for now my reflections will stay mine alone.

Having said all that, I do know with certainty that there is one area in which I can ever be the optimist without fear of disappointment. And for that I am incredibly grateful.

"Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. . . And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. . . And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us." ~Romans 5:1-5

"Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus. . . Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful." ~Hebrews 10:19,23

3 comments:

Christen said...

Does this mean that you didn't make it back to camp today after all?? Well, I'd rather that you be happily healthy than feeling miserable and not being able to participate anyway. And yes, I agree. I think balance is the key. Optimism and pessimism are the extremes, but if you have a balance of them both, you'll probably end up wiser and happier. But that's just a thought, possibly derived from too many hours spent studying 18th century English literature and the Greek and Roman modes of thought. ;)

Kelsey said...

hmm... good thought. I too have come to the conclusion that our optimism is in the fact that we know that God will work everything to our benefit, even if we are momentarily disappointed!

Love you Kristin! I'm praying for you.

Stella said...

Kristin,
I really liked this blog I had some thoughts on it and I know it's an old post but I hope someday you will read it and maybe we can talk about it. I will be hopeful. ;)

I guess the question isn't so much about should we be optimistic or pessimistic it should be who will we put all of our hope and trust in? Because in the verse you put up it said that hope does not dissapoint so if we are feeling dissapointed it's not because we are being too hopeful but rather we are putting our hope in something instead of the one. Now how we do that I'm still trying to figure out. Hope you have a blessed day!