Tuesday, October 16

Autumn Leaves

Every time I look out my bedroom window I am reminded of the beauty that God instills into life on this earth. And every time I look out my bedroom window, I can't help but thank God for that beauty-- not just the beauty in the red and green leaves on the tree outside my window, but also the beauty that I see in the lives of those by whom I am surrounded.


Sunday afternoon as I looked out my window from my view at my desk, I saw the leaves and thought how incredible it is that God is able to infuse beauty even into death. The autumn leaves-- brilliant reds, oranges, and yellows, as well as the leaves that are changing, but still hanging on to bits of green-- are reminders to me that God can bring beauty out of pain, that even in the face of death people and nature can exude life and God's splendor.

Somehow seeing those autumn leaves gave me hope. Hope that all is not vain. They reminded me that somehow even in the ugliness of sin, even in death-- Satan's most powerful weapon-- God still triumphs; He still wins and brings about good and beauty.

Recently I have been reminded that death, or rather the threat of death, is no respecter of persons. Death can threaten the young or the old and the ones in-between, those with families and those who are alone, and it can threaten even the most beautiful and God-filled people on Earth. This is something I have been reminded of because several friends of mine, some who are close and some who are not as close, have been facing the reality that life on Earth does not last forever and could potentially end much sooner for them than for the average person.

However, I have seen in their words and actions a faith and a fearlessness that emanates vibrant life and beauty. Their trust in the goodness of God when life does not seem good and their unflinching defiance of the temporary power of death over their souls bears a great resemblance to those autumn leaves outside my window. As the autumn leaves in the face of their mortality, still they breathe beauty; for that is what they were created to do-- reflect the beauty of the Maker. And in spite of approaching winter they light up the world with a beautiful autumn blaze not so different from that of this Tennessee valley.


So I will continue to look out my window and smile at the turning leaves that bring to mind the hope we have in Christ. Because that hope of eternal life and glory, of Love and beauty is what reminds me that in the end Love wins, and that is all that truly matters.


9 comments:

Christen said...

Amen!! Beautiful, Kristin. Thank you. I've thought of this before as well, and am reminded that spring is just around the corner. After winter, those things which were "dead" resurrect--they come out of dormancy and bloom with seemingly greater beauty than before. New life always follows death in the cycle of seasons. And so our Creator has promised for His children as well.

bonzobuddybear said...

Thank you, Kristin. Simply beautiful. It made me cry. We all need to be reminded, frequently, that life is not for self-absorption, but for reflecting the beauty of God while we can.

Caitlin said...

In the turning, blazing, changing ~ I turn and find face of Jesus closer than ever before. It's true. God reigns. And I am smiling too :)

Unknown said...

beautiful and powerful. thanks for sharing.

Heather said...

Yes! I am at a loss to express how much these thoughts have touched my soul. Such truth...beautiful truth that makes me feel joyful and content.

high school essay topics said...

It is simply very nice and so colorful pic which you share thanks a lot and keep up the good work.

Ciao Chan said...

Beautiful!

Sector 128 Noida said...

it's very beautiful like made by God.
Jai shri Ram

www.takeaway-sellyoak.co.uk said...

Hi there,I enjoy reading through your article post, I wanted to write a little comment to support you and wish you a good continuationAll the best for all your blogging efforts.