Tuesday, December 26

Christmas Songs

Merry Christmas! A day late... but that's alright. Anyway, my mind has not been hibernating even though I haven't done much with my blog in a little while. You would think that being home on Christmas break would give me more time to post on subjects that just keep building in my head; however, that has not been the case.
I absolutely love Christmas music. It's wonderful, and when I take the time to allow the words of these songs to sink into my mind, I'm blessed by the power of the words. I'm not talking about songs like Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer mind you, I'm talking about real Christmas songs; the ones that are about Christ and his birth.
"A child was born on Christmas day, born to save the world. But long before the world began, he knew his death was sure, the pain and strife secure. Mystery, how he came to be a man. But greater still how his death was in his plan. God predestined that his Son would die, and he still created man. Oh what love is this, that his death was in his hands?" (Mystery)

"There's a Rose in Bethlehem with a beauty quite divine; perfect in this world of sin, on this silent, holy night. There's a fragrance much like hope that it sends upon the wind; reaching out to every soul, from a lowly manger's crib. Oh, Rose of Bethlehem how lovely, pure, and sweet. Born to glorify the Father, born to wear the thorns for me." (Rose of Bethlehem)
Those are just pieces of two of my new favorites from this Christmas season. But the Christmas song that inspired me to write about Christmas songs on this blog is a much more familiar one. It's called Breath of Heaven, or Mary's Song. I've heard this song many, many times before, and it's done every year at SVA's Candlelight Concert. This year was no exception, but this time as I listened there were a few lines in particular that caught my attention. "Do you wonder as you watch my face, if a wiser one should have had my place?" I pondered this for a few moments and found that I can identify. I've questioned God and his plans for me several many times. And quite often have found myself posing the same question that Mary asks in this song. "God, are you sure you want me for this? Are you sure you don't want to choose someone else who might be more qualified?" However, as I thought about this I realized how ridiculous it is to ask God such a question. Why should I, a twenty year old college student, question the God of the universe, Creator of all life, who knows my heart better than I do, about whether or not he's made the right decision? Thankfully, God is a patient God, and simply smiles at my questioning and says "My strength is made perfect in your weakness; your inability speaks volumes of my ability. Trust me."

4 comments:

Christy Joy said...

hmmm, I never thought about God predestining that Christ would die. I think I'll have to ponder that, cuz I'm not sure if I agree with the lyrics.

Kristin said...

Predestine means to determine beforehand. It sounds weird to say that God predestined that his son would die, but when you think about it... God knew what man would choose and created man anyway. God also knew that the only thing that would save man was his son's death. And so, by creating man, knowing what man's choice would be, God was in a sense predestining his son for death.

Caitlin said...

Thank you for sharing those songs.
I often find my mind wandering along similar paths of questioning.
"But I offer all I am, to the mercy of your plan. Help me be strong." praying for the Breath of Heaven to hold me together.

Joel said...

I can relate to how hard it is for you to post while on break. It sure isn't as easy as I thought it would be! Thanks for the reminder that God's got my future in His capable hands. :)