Thursday, March 13

Baby Bear Part I

I have written a fable. For my Library Materials class I had to make a unit plan, (I did mine on The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe) and whatever writing assignments I planned to make my future students do, I had to do myself. One of the assignments was to write a short fable, and so I did. Someone suggested that I post it on here, but due to its length I wasn't planning on it. Then, the brilliant friend of mine who first suggested that I post it said that I could post it in parts. Thank you Caitlin :) Here is the first part:

Baby Bear in Spring


Deep in the woods, in a dark cave there lived a family of bears. Contrary to what most would think, this cave was actually quite cozy. Outside the winter snow was melting to reveal the remains of dry, crinkled leaves on the forest floor. Far back inside the cave Papa Bear, Mama Bear, and Baby Bear were all snuggled up together away from the end of winter wind chills.

Baby Bear was generally a good bear, as all little bears should be, but he had one big problem. You see, Baby Bear tried his very best to obey Papa Bear and Mama Bear, but when it came to being patient, Baby Bear just could not wait.

As most people know, bears like to sleep all winter long, and then they wake up in the springtime. Little Baby Bear had not been excited to learn that he would have to sleep for an entire season! But being obedient, he had laid down with Papa and Mama and had tried to fall asleep. Now, with winter almost, but not quite, over, Baby Bear opened his eyes and leapt to his feet.

“Mama! Papa! Spring is here!” he cried loudly, making the cave echo.

No response rewarded Baby Bear’s proclamation.

“Papa, get up!” Baby Bear said with a grunt as he pushed his head against Papa Bear’s slumbering form.

Papa Bear mumbled something about sleeping a little longer.

“Mama, it’s spring! Will you make me some food, I’m starving!” he tried his luck with Mama Bear.

Mama Bear groggily woke and looked at Baby Bear. “Baby Bear, it’s not time yet. Spring is at least another day or two away. Why don’t you lay back down and wait patiently with me and Papa Bear.” Mama Bear said while drifting off to sleep again.

“I don’t want to wait.” Baby Bear thought to himself. “I’ll just go find some food for myself.”


1 comment:

Christen said...

How fun!--and full of alliteration!! Heehee. :D
I like it! Eagerly awaiting part two...