Saturday, June 21

The Great Commission

I think it's been quite a while since I've had as much time to reflect on things as I have the last couple of days. Perhaps that's good and perhaps not. I don't know. Unfortunately, reflection has not made anything clearer. In fact, it may have just further muddied the water. I feel stuck.

Meanwhile, I think all this reflection did help me to overcome some writer's block. I ended up writing three poems and a short thought on the trip back to TN today. So I thought I'd post some of them. I'm still not sure about one of the poems though, so I won't post it just yet. Anyway, here's the thought and the first poem:

When I think about the word commission, my first thoughts are of a command being given—an order, a charge.

Today as I was reading a little bit about the Great Commission and how it is equivalent to our marching orders from Christ, I had a new thought concerning the word commission.

I was writing a poem, and while I was typing the word commission, I noticed something. Have you ever noticed that the word commission looks suspiciously like co-mission? I hadn’t before today.

As I took notice of the striking similarity between the two, I thought that it seemed very fitting to me. By giving us the Great Commission, Christ was inviting us to become a part of his mission, the work that he began in coming to this Earth. He didn’t just give us our marching orders and send us off unaccompanied, he didn’t just command us to go; but like a king who charges out to battle at the front of the lines, he calls us to follow his example and join together with him in a co-mission against the lies and injustice of the Father of Evil.

Promises (The Great Commission)

Kill this temporary flesh,
But see if I don’t
Raise to immortality
In three days.

I will come back
For you, my love.
So spread the news
Through all the world.

But remember this:
Just as Satan’s shackles
Could not hold me in the ground,

Your apathy
Will not keep me
Parted from my Beloved.


I’m still not completely satisfied with this poem. I think there’s a big gap between the first two stanzas, and the second stanza is a little weak. I wanted to show that the Great Commission is an invitation to join Christ’s cause, but that God’s promises are not dependent upon our actions or cooperation. Anyway, I’m still unsure of the whole poem. Suggestions are more than welcome.

No comments: